In this recipe you can use whatever color bell peppers you have a taste for or mix it up and use several different varieties for a more colorful presentation – my own preference is using the red.
While green bell peppers have a slightly bitter flavor, the red, yellow and orange bell peppers provide a more mellow yet sweeter flavor and will cost a little more than the green variety.
Easy Stuffed Pepper Recipe Paired with Healthy Ingredients
Using brown rice in making this red bell pepper casserole instead of long grain white rice provides that little extra fiber plus a nuttier flavor and texture and the benefits don’t end there.
Did you know that a single cup of brown rice will provide you with up to 88% of your daily requirement for manganese?
There’s also been an American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published study that whole grains like brown rice work to maintain a healthy body weight. Did you know that the oil in brown rice lowers cholesterol and substantially lowers the risk for Type 2 Diabetes?
This recipe works just a well using white rice – an the choice is yours’ – but the health benefits you get with whole grain brown rice are worth considering.
- 6 bell peppers (green, red, orange or yellow)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or lean ground beef
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups cooked white or brown long grain rice
- 1 can tomato sauce (seasoned or unseasoned 15 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (mild or sharp)
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Set Oven to Convection Bake 350 degrees F
- Clean peppers, cut off tops, remove seeds and membranes
- Arrange peppers in a 9x13 inch baking dish
- In a skillet, cook ground meat, onion, celery, minced garlic, kosher salt, cracked pepper and nutmeg until meat is browned (about 5 minutes)
- Add cooked rice and mix well
- Combine tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, basil, brown sugar and lemon juice
- Pour ¾ of the sauce into the meat/rice mixture
- Fill each pepper
- Convection bake for 30 minutes until peppers are tender
- Serve topped with remaining sauce and cheddar cheese
- Bake an additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted