Crock pot meatloaf is an easy one pot meal that allows you to free your time for more important things like spending time with family.
Fast forward to today and here we are conquering crock pot meatloaf.
My crock pot gets a lot of use because I tend to be a little lazy when it comes to cooking…most often when I’m short on time.
Even though I’m a self-described foodie, I don’t have a lot of patience when there’s a lot of steps involved in putting a meal together….especially when I can consume the end result in 15 minutes or less.
One of the things I enjoy most about my crock pot, besides “fix-it and forget-it”, is the warm, comforting smell of home cooking for hours on end.
Because I love meatloaf and I’m continually experimenting, it was only natural that I would try making it in my crock pot. Crock pot meatloaf is surprisingly easy and before I include my favorite crock pot meatloaf recipe, I want to provide some helpful tips to ensure the success of your meatloaf.
Tips For Mastering Crock Pot Meatloaf
- Resist the temptation to lift the lid when cooking. If you do, plan on adding 15-20 minutes each time you take a peek.
- Cooking low and slow takes about twice as long as cooking on high. The crockpot temperature on low heat is about 200° F and cooking on high is around 300° F.
- Because fat retains heat, anything with fat in it will cook faster. If you are using, let’s say ground beef with a 20% fat content, it will cook faster than any vegetables you plan to cook in the crock pot with it. If you’re including carrots, potatoes, celery or any other vegetables with your meatloaf, place the veggies on the bottom and sides of the crock pot and place the meatloaf on top.
- Make sure your meatloaf does not touch the sides of the crock pot because it will stick.
- If you take heavy-duty aluminum foil and make a couple of 15” long by 2” wide strips and lay these in an “X” pattern across the bottom and up the sides of the inside of your crock pot before you place your meatloaf in it, it will make it easier to remove the meatloaf when it’s done. This is easier than trying get a couple of spatulas in there to remove the meatloaf and it gives you two less utensils to wash.
My Favorite Crock Pot Meatloaf Recipe
Here is my favorite easy meatloaf recipe. It takes very little time to put together and tastes great. As a side note, because liquid does not evaporate in a crock pot you may notice that there are more soft bread crumbs than a typical non-crock pot meatloaf recipe. The extra bread crumbs help with absorption of excess liquid. Enjoy!
- 1 pound ground lean beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ cup celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 container sour cream & onion dip (8 oz.)
- 2-1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dillweed (optional)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 can condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, ½ of the sour cream & onion dip, salt, pepper, dillweed, roasted red pepper, celery and onion.
- Add ground beef and ground pork.
- Add soft bread crumbs and mix just to combine but don't over mix.
- Place meatloaf mixture on foil strips (noted in tips) and press lightly into a round loaf. Be sure meatloaf is not touching the sides of the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on the low setting for 8 hours.
- Serve with Sour Cream Mushroom Sauce. To make Sour Cream Mushroom Sauce, combine the can of Mushroom Soup with the remaining Sour Cream & Onion Dip. Stir occasionally over low heat until bubbly and serve.